Monday, February 1, 2010

"The $37.80 chocolate milkshake!"

Another strange day in the life of Elana. 3 weeks ago I met this terrific mom at the McDonald's play area. I proceeded to lose her phone # even though I was determined to become her friend.

She said to me, "Just remember, I'm always here on Tuesday's"

Well, since I lost her #, I have to show up every Tuesday and sit for an hour hoping she'll show. No luck.

I'm was low on funds and asked the Mc. Donald's clerk what is the cheapest milkshake you have? It's this one, for $2.80.

Well, days later I would find out that it overdrew my account by 5 cents!

And Rhonda (the mom) has not shown up.

So, it's payday and I'm supposed to receive, get this $35 dollars. Well, I didn't get a penny of it because my bank charges a $35 dollar overdraft fee!

I called the 1800 # and asked the bank operator if she would reverse the fine? "Yes, a portion of it" let me check your account for a moment" she went on to say.

"Ms. Snyder, I'm so sorry but I am not going to be able to refund any money into your account"

On this note, I hang up. No social niceties for her!

I drive the 27 miles to the bank from my old hood. The manager knows me and even came outside to see my car when I bought it 16 months ago.

He loves to shmooze. He talked about how he misses hiking and biking and bird watching. Talked about how he can't wait for Spring. Looked at my account and said:

"I see there are 2 fines against your account. I'd be more than happy to refund those"

"I know what this post Christmas time is like for people. And you've never asked me to do this for you before"

He tried to refund the 70 but was only able to refund the 35. He said he didn't know why the computer was giving him trouble. He finally realized that indeed there had only been one fine. I told him I would have really enjoyed him giving me an extra 35!

The first time I ever talked to him I swore he was single as he was so flirtatious. Strikingly handsome. And married. And with ring. And with 3 beautiful children! Isn't that Alanis Morisette who says "And then meeting his beautiful wife!"

Anyhow, I celebrated this victory by swigging down 5 coffees! Wish me luck getting to sleep tonight!

No comments: