Wednesday, July 9, 2008

"Correspondence From Hell/La Pew Correspondence"

7/9/08

Dear Tenant,

We need very brief access to the entrance doorway to your apt. unit to enable us to connect the corridor carpeting to the carpeting in your unit.

If you have any questions, please contact Management for assistance.

Thank you for your cooperation during this work.

What time? What does very brief mean? Am I supposed to stay home all day? Will you knock? If I leave the house will you have gotten the maint. man to let you in?

July 9th arrives and here's what happens

1 p.m.

bang, bang, bang

One of the Latino painters bangs on my door. I answer. He says: "You are going to have to keep your door open for a few hours so I can paint"

A few hours?

"Yes" "3:30 or 4:30"

I instruct him to lock the door at the end of the day but I can't count on him to do it. I'm only in the house for a few minutes and the fumes are bad, I have to leave. I ask my next door neighbor if she will pull my door shut and lock it if I'm not home. Maint. man is back from vacation, hopefully he won't steal any more of my underwear today while I'm out. Or anything else for that matter.

No comments: