Tuesday, July 1, 2008

"Dis ain't Mr. Roger's neighborhood!"

Yesterday, I sat in the main lobby for 10 minutes. That's about all I can handle. For the first 3 minutes or so, I talked to "Studley" (you know him from my previous posts) Then , a new neighbor, sat down next to Studley and started talking to him, but made no eye contact with me.

N.N. = new neighbor

N.N.-"Dis place gettin' on ma damn nerves" "Da people here gettin' on ma damn nerves." "I'd like to kill somebody. I'd like to kill my ex" "If I could find a way to kill my ex without going to jail, I would.l" "I gotta move outta dis damn place."

me-"So hard to get out."

N.N.-making no eye contact with me, addresses his comment to Studley, ( certain that I'm too dense to understand what he means!)

"All I'd have to do is go back to ma last job, den I'd have da money by tomorrow morning to move out!"

He leaves.

I say to Studley, "I know what his last job was"

Studley-"You do? I was sure you wouldn't have picked up on that."

E-"He didn't think I'd know either." "Umma smart girl! I got street smarts!"

99% of what I hear in the hallways is hateful and negative, so i still have to keep mainly to myself. Such an exhausting place to live.

No comments: