Monday, July 28, 2008

"BATTLE OF THE BUSES" BALTIMORE SUN 7/27/08

Excerpts written about intranational trips that are very very similar to trips within Baltimore on the MTA. I will reprint the stuff I can directly relate to:

AN EVENTFUL RIDE ON THE SPEEDY EASTERN By Brad Schleicher

After settling in, we tore off from the embankment, heading north at 8:31 a.m. about 10 minutes later than scheduled. The interior resembled reclaimed carpet from an '80's bowling alley. It was midnight blue with touches of yellow spirals and white diamonds-the kind of tacky pattern that you can stare at for only a short period of time before going completely insane.

I would have been totally pleased with the bathrooms if it weren't for the smell. Upon entering I was greeted with a stench defined by equal parts urine and bleach.

The decor and cleanliness coupled with the bathroom's horrid aromatic cocktail became sort of an afterthought considering how often I feared for my life during the ride. My driver's frequent displays of bus jockeying left me shaky and wondering if he was trying to break some twisted land-speed record. Weaving in aid out of traffic like a participant in the Gumball 3k rally, he pressed on as if no charter bus had ever graced New York City and that his, by god, would be the first.

(Elana's note)

I write this portion about breakneck speeds not only for it's comic effect, but because it is the way 85% of Baltimore's MTA driver's drive, and it is one of the reasons why I feel my life is in such great danger by not having a car , and being forced to be a passenger.

(This Schleicher guy is a wonderful descriptive writer!)

www.baltsun.com

The article, Battle of the Buses also compares Eastern to Greyhound and Megabus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello... Yes, public transportation is awful here in Baltimore. I'm looking forward to read more later :)

elana r. snyder said...

thank u Olivia, it's now 2014 and I have written tons more about the buses. have one that i'm trying to get paid for as well