Friday, January 8, 2010

"Customer Dis-service" is everywhere

On New Years Day I headed to the grocery store looking for Annie's macaroni and cheese. I don't like to ask for help because 9 times out of ten they say they don't know where it is.

I start with aisle 1 and walk the entire store. I walk down the aisles that seem logical. Not in the pasta aisle. 15 or 20 minutes later I'm at the other end of the store no luck.

I ask the boy stocking the pizza if he can help me. No response. I ask again. He looks at me funny, then walks away.

I go to customer service. There is no one there. I yell for someone to come over and help me. I explain how the employee just walked away from me like I was invisible.

The female clerk responded: "Oh yeah, he's artistic, or something like that. I know I couldn't believe it either when I first started working here. But we have to. We're required to hire the disabled"

Me-"Don't you mean he's autistic?"

Her-Oh something like that

Me-Well, I've just walked this entire store looking for this product and can't find it.

She heads back to aisle one and starts walking the same aisles I've already walked. I told her I've checked there already.

Her-"Well, I guess I'm going to have to find a manager"

I give up and take my salmon to the register. I'm not in a time crunch. I tell the boy that I never found what I needed. I can't believe what he does. He walks away from me and starts walking the aisles. You don't just walk away from a customer that you're ringing up!

I leave the store, and leave the salmon behind.

When I get to me car he yells "I found it"

"You should have never walked away from me like that"

"Well how else am I supposed to find it?"

Out of desperation I walk back into the store and he tells me what aisle to go to. "THE LOW SUGAR CANDY AISLE!"

In the low sugar candy aisle I find the manager and the original female clerk who was "helping" me

I tell the manager that there service is deplorable; and what in the world is the pasta doing in the low sugar candy aisle?

(This chain has a monopoly so if you want a supposedly better experience you need to drive 12 plus miles to the competitor!)

No comments: