Saturday, January 23, 2010

"A Raisin In the Sun"

I had only seen it once, but not all of it. I saw it on a 30 year old black and white t.v. with a bad picture. So, I thought it would be a real treat to go see the free showing at the Carroll County Arts Center (a wonderful place)

Wow, what a conflict laden film. Certainly not light by any means. I could sure understand their struggle with roaches. Now this is a clean family which implies that roaches are a real issue in apt. houses. Where do I even begin?

Oh, I loved the opening statement. I don't know everything the narrator said but I just loved and will never forget that he said:

"What happens to a dream deferred? Does it just dry up like a raisin in the sun?"

I can't remember if I cried once or cried twice-But I know I cried for one of my favorite parts of the film. Where the family is sitting at the table with the neighborhood chairman. Mom says to her son "Go ahead son, I want to hear you teach your son about the tookers and the taken"

And the son pauses and he stands up for what he and his family believe. He doesn't take the money instead because of their pride they decide to go ahead and move into the all white neighborhood. What a beautiful shpeel the son gave-and how awesome to see the little boy just taking it all in.

Certainly you've seen this movie, what do you think?

No comments: