Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"Man analyzes me to death"

Today I went to the Box Lunch Talks at the Historical Society. After paying my admission I went to get some coffee. My cup was nearly full, then I discovered that there were packs of cocoa. In a case like this I'll usually make mocha. Problem is when i put in the cocoa it overflowed a little. I was having some hand tremors which made it tough to walk thru the crowded room to my seat without spilling a little.

The minute I arrived to my table a man said "You sure are making a mess"

I replied, "well, I'm a little shaky this morning and my cup was very full"

man-"You're on meds?" (a reference to the tremors I guess)

me-"Yes, I am despite the fact that I'm not a senior"

man-"Well, it's obvious that you aren't a senior, how old are you?"

me-46

man-"Now you're adding more cocoa and making more of a mess?"

me-"You are analyzing me to death aren't you?"

woman next to me-"I'd feel really nervous if he were analyzing me to death"

man to me-"You are really making a spectacle of yourself"

me-"I have no idea how to respond to you"

man-"Best that you don't"

I'm cleaning my tablecloth a bit, so i'll be more comfortable. He smiles and says:

Man-"Good job, I approve"

I do not respond. But this really does distract me from the talk. I thiink about big brother and how I feel that my every move is scruitinized almost everyplace I go.

I said to the woman next to me "I will never ever sit near him again"

woman-"A generational thing"

me-"You mean the condescending tone he used with me?"

woman-"yes, nearly all men in that generation speak down to women"

me-"I did not know that, and that is very sad"

---------------------------------------------

The talk itself was very good. It was called Carroll County's Small Towns and Villages"

He talked about how in the 50's it was very common for extended family to live together. (I did not know that) He said now families wouldn't hesitate to move far away from grandma and grandpa.

One guy asked "Do you feel the modern ways are corrupting young people's values?"

Speaker-"We could do a 3 day seminar on that question, and maybe we should."

I think I'd have alot of interesting input on what it's like to be a product of a family like mine that was not only very abusive, but almost complete out of touch with all extended family. So it really was just me, helen, and arnold. I barely knew my grandmother or my aunts at all.................................

I hope you found this post interesting

No comments: