Sunday, March 28, 2010

"My moment in the spotlight"

Last night I went to an earth save dinner. Vegan potluck. The food is always fabulous and there was a panel of speakers afterwards who did a great job. I was really nervous and excited all at the same time when I spoke about there being a time in my life (this is a well heeled crowd) when I lived walking distance from the farmer's market but because they don't take food stamps, I couldn't get any food.

There was a handout indicating how there should be a regulation that food stamp (Independence) card holders should not be allowed to buy candy on their card. I said that "It shouldn't be about instituting more "can'ts" It should be about opening up access to healthy food and better nutrition education to people of all income levels. I also brought up the point that when you are without a car you can't always find a grocery store. Mark said that's right in some neighborhoods your only option is chinese food and the 7-11.

There was so much compassion in the room about what I said, and the speakers kept going back to my points in their talk. Small victory, felt empowering.

Good job to

www.earthsave.org

No comments: