Tuesday, October 9, 2012

"A great way to start the day"

I arrived at the bus stop at about 9 a.m.  Ten minutes later a familiar looking young man joined me, carrying a guitar.

When he said his name, I recalled meeting him a couple of times before.  Handsome and gifted but homeless again.

He said he's been walking for 12 hours walked about 20 miles and that he is homeless.  I asked him to play me something. He said "Only if you can sing!"

At first I sang him "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"  then I made up a song using the words he said to describe his night.  We began taking turns doing lyrics, improv.

My lyrics were

Society told me that if i worked hard

and got acollege degree

that homelessness

wouldn't happen to me

they lied

i'm tellin' you

they lied

I encouraged him to start singing his story........................................

Ten wonderful moments until the buss arrived!

No comments: