Thursday, August 8, 2013

"Breaking Amish"

I took notes while watching so that I would have some thoughts to share with you on this last sunday episode.

So, Samuel pushed his way into the cast's home, and then ended up just moving in.  It was alarming how he treated Lizzie, it look as if he might hurt her physically.  His initial reaction to realizing Lizzie is pregnant, was absolutist and extyreme.  I'm glad he has decided to treat her with respect now.  I'm surprised actually that they patched things up.

Amish don't interracially date so it was fun to see the girl's reactions to "touching the black guy" on the beach!

Andrew is in PUnxy (where my "family" is also) and calls himself the black sheep of his family.  He's 26 and he's being shunned.  He says he's wild and spent 30 days in the slammer.  I wondered if he knows my family but it's unlikely since my "family" aren't Amish.

Andrew wants to leave Punxsy but knows he'll never have family again.  His brother Abe has been dissing him ever since Rebecca came into the picture.  Not sure if I should buy that or not; as Abe can decide whether or not to return his brother's love.

I liked the fortune teller Zoltar; and it was interesting to see some of the cast pull back descrbing it as witchcraft.

Betsy says her life got bad after her birthmother died.  I guess there is an equivalent in my life in that "mother" and I were separated at my birth; which likely caused a certain trajectory in my life that probably cannot be reversed.

Matthew says he'll have sex when he gets married but whose to say marriage is a guarantee when close to 1/2 of Americans are unmarried.

Samuel asks the workers at "jumbo's clown room" "what is a lap dance?!"  One of the girls gave him a lap dance and he says he loved it but that they'd kill him back home!

Everyone but Matt has shunned Betsy, I guess I can see how they might be a little bit nervous around her since all they know is an extremely conservative religion.  I'm not sure what to make of the item that broke and smashed while the girls were discussing Betsy!

So Lizzie is now glad that her brother is with her in L.A.

I love the quote:

"Abe and Rebecca are notorious in the Amish community!"  This comment was spurned by Andrew just showing up at the cast's house and choosing his bedroom.  Bottom line is the men have a very patriarchal and condescending way toward women (and sometimes the men too) at least initially.

No comments: