Monday, September 28, 2009

3/23/94 Journal Entry from:

Out my bedroom window I see a brick wall. Symbolic of the walls I keep hitting? I am trapped by who I am. I said I didn't want to depend on any man. But am I willing to do ANY type of work? I see why they sell their bodies.

I like St. Kilda but my life conditions are deplorable.

I walk the streets alone

Prostitutes solicit day and night

The red light district

Some in sequins

Others in shorts and runners

With their asses hanging out

High heels, heavy makeup

Many say they're trash

They are the lonely, the abused, the poor

Need to feed their children

The men-short, fat, scruffy or

Tall, professional with suitcase

Wait on the curbside in their cars

Old Koori man, no teeth left

Drunkenly stumbles into me

Is this all there is?

I'm just like them

With the fascade

Of formal education

The sad, the lonely, the angry

I want to know them

I feel their pain

I hold back the tears, barely,

As I eat my dinner

Alone on Acland

Authors Note: Acland St. is a major thoroughfare in St. Kilda, Australia where I first experienced homelessness/lack of a fixed address.

No comments: