Saturday, September 12, 2009

"how did you get your name? is your name greek?"

I get asked about my name all of the time. I assumed that my adoptive parents named me but since I haven't seen them in 20 years, I can't exactly ask. I found something very very special last night in some boxes that were in storage. I found the letter that the social worker sent me in 1989 when I was conducting my search for my birthmother. (I found her in 3 weeks)

Heres what was sent to me 20 years ago. It's called the "non identifying information/heritage information" on your biological parents.

Birthmother was 18 at the time of your birth. She wa described as being 5'2" tall, about 120 lbs. She had brown hair, hazel eyes and a medium freckled complexion. Personality was described as being sweet, gnetle, domestic and with considerable artistic talent.

She is the 2nd of 4 daughters. The oldest sister had completed high school and was in beautician school. Birthmother was gong to return to her last year of high school and expected to make top grades.

Birthmother's paretns were divorced because of birthmother's father's mental illness. He was in a veterans hospital. He attended college for 3 years and attended barber's college. Birthmother's mother attended business college and worked as a secretary. Birthmother described herself as being close to her mother and her sisiters. Heritage is English, Irish and French.

Birthmother knew birthfather for a fairly long time but did not date him steadily because he was away at college.

Birthfather was 19 and had completed one year of college at the time of your birth. He was described as being 6' tall, medium build with blue yes, light brown hair and a fair complexion. His religion is Jewish. He has an older brother.

Health

Birthfather had hay fever. Birthfather had respiratory problems which she described as chronic bronchitis. Birthmother's mother is the youngest of 13 children.

Birthmother saw you at birth. She gave you the name after an aunt and a cousin. The name was a Jewish name. Birthmother wanted you placed with a Jewish family. She especially values what she knows about Jewish family life.

Normal pregnancy, 40 weeks. Length of labor was 2 hours. Weight at birth was 6 lbs. 10 ozs. and 20 inches long.

Signed

Family and Children's Services

No comments: