Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"Support" group doing more harm then good"

I'm using the phrase support group very liberally.  I've tried many groups in my adult life, and I have yet to find one that is professionally run.  Some are peer run, and some are run by "professionals" but they must not be trained very well.

I tried one out this week where I knew within a minute or so that it was going to be a mess.  There were two so called facilitators and only two attendees, one male one female.  I was told right away that they might send us home because too few attendees.  I said, "oh great, i come all the way over here on the bus and your going to send us home."

They decided not to.  All 3 females were wearing pink.  I teasingly said to "dick*"  You can't stay because you aren't wearing a shade of pink!"  He emphatically stated "SHE is not wearing A SHADE OF PINK!"  With ridiculously exaggerated body movements, he pulled a candy out of his jeans, unwrappedit and threw it on the table!

"THIS is a shade of pink, NOT HER SHIRT!"

(i cannot fucking believe this!  aren't their any boundaries for appropriate behavior in this group?!)

The candy was red.  I said "Oh, I thought you were giving me a candy and unwrapping it for me"

IT'S NOT CANDY! he said.  IT'S A COUGH DROP!

Well, the whole group went on like this!  A facilitator was talking about an author who survived the holocaust.  She mentioned a pregnant woman who did not survive the holocaust.  I said, "Did the baby survive?!

Dick- who is practically yelling, said to me NOBODY SURVIVED THE HOLOCAUST.  NOBODY!

The other facilitator was speaking of safe places and relaxing events.  She mentioned a situation where she got to swim with dolphins.

Dick-OH, WELL AREN'T WE HOITY TOITY.  YOU KNOW NONE OF US CAN AFFORD EXTRAVAGANCES LIKE THAT!

(Again, instead of the facilitators creating boundaries, the facil. jumped to the defensive.)

She said: "Well, that was many years ago, plus how could I be hoity toity if I'm doing this kind of work.

FOLKS, I CANNOT BELIEVE MY, (AND THIS IS A REFERENCE TO A TV SHOW) "SO CALLED LIFE!"

No comments: