Saturday, September 29, 2007

"Habitat for Humanity"

I applied for an "Habitat for Humanity". house when I was in Indiana.

  I didn't qualify, because my income was TOO LOW!. In March I made a similar inquiry in Baltimore.

. Leader said that the orientation (for interested prospective tenants) is in Sept. and that I would get an invite in the mail. By 9/7, I still hadn't received the formal invite, so I called h for h to find out when and where the orientation would be.

When she told me the location I was very worried. Very dangerous section of the city, would take 3 buses to get there and I have no $ for a taxi. So I called h for h to see if they could arrange a ride for me. The first woman I spoke to said no , so I asked to speak to her co-worker.

 She said "No one can give you a ride, it wouldn't be safe for us to help you because we dont know you!"

I replied, "Well it's too dangerous of a neighborhood for me to be on buses." She said: "But this is the neighborhood where the h for h houses will be built, on Chester street!."

I thought, this is so complicated and stressful and I know I don't want to buy in the city, so I won't go. On the 11 news that night, I heard the following: "Chester Street fire claims lives!"



No comments: