Sunday, September 23, 2007

"My 'hood"

A week and a half ago I was on my evening walk. I was right across the street from my apt. when I saw a well dressed African American man about my age picking up trash. I told him: "I used to do that when I lived in Hampden."

Brad*   " Baltimoreans have no respect for their environment and litter openly"

E-.     "Are you a homeowner?"

. He pointed to the home he owns.

E-  "when I moved into the 'hood, I asked other Cedarcroft residents what the deal is with crime. That was 28 months ago.  Here's what I was told:  "The only crimes in Cedarcroft are opportunity crimes where folks leave valuables on their car seats."

I asked Brad if that neighbor was telling the truth. He laughed sarcastically and went on to say:  "I was broken into in the middle of February.   I came home from work to discover that my door had been completely REMOVED! and there  was snow on the ground!"

E-"How did the police handle it?"

B-"Oh don't get me started. I had to call the cops 8x before they came out. Meantime I was stuck outside in the snow for hours. The cops said that it took them a long time because they were on a shift change! I was furious!"

I told Brad that after dark in Cedarcroft  I can't see my feet below me, everyone is too cheap to keep their porch lights on. That sure doesn't make me feel safe!

B-The break ins happen during the day!

E-Do you feel scared in Baltimore?

B-"No, because I'm from the Bronx. My siblings and I were not even allowed to play outside without an adult!

E-Wow. How many home break ins have their been in the last year on your block?

B-"Ten, on my street alone"

E-What's the answer?

B-I had to spend alot of money for new windows and move my nephew in for added security!

I told Brad of my predicament and gave him my email and website address. A 43 year educated African American male who is afraid to live alone. If that doesn't illustrate how sick Baltimore is, I don't know what does!

No comments: