Saturday, September 29, 2007

"Practice Peace"

Anyone can practice peace no matter where they live. One very small way I practice peace is that I thank my bus drivers when I disembark.  Few riders thank the drivers. Even if the driver was hateful to me, or otherwise abusive, it is the rare, rare driver who can resist being thanked by a passenger. I also feel that this is a tiny way to break down the racial barriers in this city.  I get very very little joy out of life, but , I'm doing my damndest to live an ethical life and make a small difference in the lives of the people around me.

3 comments:

BJH said...

You're doing more than promoting peace and cilility. You're leading by example. Passengers and the driver observe your words and behavior. Some may choose to follow your lead, imitate your words and demeanor. If we had a network of people who lead by example, we chould change the world!

elana r. snyder said...

Thank you BJH. Many times I behave kindly even when I don't feel like it, in the hopes that I'll make a small difference. Thank you for your encouraging words!

elana r. snyder said...

In retrospect, now that I live in a small town with little crime relatively speaking, I find it quite easy to promote peace, most people (probably women) smile at strangers and seem disappointed if you don't smile back.