Friday, September 7, 2007

How to cope with being "stood up"

On taking risks on meeting new people.....it's worth it. Even though 90% will stand you up. At least that's been true in my life experience. It's been just as true with making new women friends as it has been for making new men friends. Let me provide my own definition of being "stood up"

I'm going to broaden the definition for the purpose of this piece. Stood up means, at the last minute they don't show. They may call you at the last minute or they might not call you at all. It's no fun, but here is how I cope.

I was supposed to meet a "new friend" today for lunch. When I called him to tell him that I'd be there in 15 minutes he said: "oh, didn't you get my message?" "I can't be there"

So as to not be crushed by these frequent last minute cancellations and no shows, I have people meet me at a place that I'd be at anyhow. I had planned to have lunch at one world even before the meeting was scheduled. So, no great shakes. Yeah, it'd be nice to have the company, but the no show has not inconvenienced me.

I don't really "date" I just kind of do something like this: "Hey Mike, I'll be at Starbucks from 8 to 10 p.m. on Tues. night. I'll be wearing a green t shirt and burgundy pants, come by if ya like!"

No comments: