Friday, September 7, 2007

"You are more then your job title"

If there is one thing I've learned in the last 15 years, it's never, ever judge a person by their job title.

 Some of my most rewarding social interactions I've had have been with taxi drivers.  Most are very educated! Take Hank for example. Hank is about 65 ,  owns a Baltimore theatre, writes screenplays and sends them off to his son who is an actor in Hollywood!

And Mike, I just met him a few days ago. He's my age, African American and grew up in the south. He is writing 2 books.  the subject matter is "sexual molestation in the African American community.  In that 4 mile cab drive, I attempted to get him connected into the Baltimore arts community.

When he dropped me off, he asked me if he could read me one of his poems.  The subject is suicide.   In the poem he wrote, he purports that so many smile their way through the day, but are deeply hurting on the inside. He also told me of a wealthy woman who sponsored him for a summer camp when he was 17. She sent him to a special survival camp where he learned how to survive in the wild!

5 years ago, I had a Starbucks clerk named Sarah, who was a voice major at Peabody.  I attended her concert and she had one of the most beautiful voices I had heard in my life!

   She was due to move to New York City to work as a singer and sadly I never heard from her again.  My friend Arlene asked:

 "Why bother investing in a relationship if they're just going to move away?"

 (Because I like the excitement of meeting new people, even if there is a chance the relationship will be short lived)

WE ARE SO MUCH MORE THAN OUR JOB TITLE! WOULDN'T YOU AGREE? I'd love to hear your story of someone you met who was so much more then their title!

No comments: