Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"A Gangsta' Story"

About 4 days ago, I saw a "gang" in my neighborhood.  I couldn't make out the faces, but unlike a Baltimore "gang" they were 6men ranging between the ages of 15 and 55.  They were a mix of races and ethnicities.  My heart skipped a beat.  Did they notice me?  Will they follow me?  Where are they going?

One of them yelled out my name and came walking toward me with a big hug!  Turns out to be Tavon* He's african american about 28, married to a white woman with 2 babies.  He asked me how I was and we expressed how happy we were to see each other.  We met on the bus nearly a year ago, i started talking to him because he carries a guitar with him.

Since this encounter, 2 more of his homies who have seen me since then, wave, smile and one even hugged me today.

I guess you can't "judge a book, by it's cover!"

No comments: