Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"THE ETERNAL WAIT FOR A LANDLINE"

o.K. FOLKS.

I placed my order for a landline 21 days ago. I sent the money order, the utility bill and the application form 12 days ago. I pick up my phone daily to see if there is a dialtone yet. I call ATT every few days to see what's the latest.

Let me tell you about how I'm surviving with no phone. I made a few extra bucks in June which allowed me to put some time on my trac phone. I spent about 120 dollars on my trac, and I've spent about 15 dollars at pay phones. You ask: "Elana, I didn't know there were anymore working pay phones in the U.S.!"

Well, let me tell you I've got the real scoop on pay phones. My eye is now trained, every where I go to ask for and look for pay phones. The on in front of the Wal-Mart has a dialtone and costs .50 for 15 minutes then it hangs up one you. That's just for local calls. The pay phone in the back of the Wal Mart (indoors!) has a bench next to it. That's a victory. Or so I thought. I picked up the handpiece and there was no dial tone. I went to the outside phone in front of the Wal Mart to call the 1800 # to order repair on the indoor phone. After 3 tries, I finally reached an operator who said "Oh, hasn't that phone been pulled out yet? They were supposed to have pulled that out! I'll get on that!"

The receptionist for a chiropractor said that the closest pay phone is probably at the gas station. I would discover a week later that there is a pay phone right out in front of the chiro office that she didn't know existed. It's green with decay, and the bees burrowed holes in the plastic part that says "phone" It's filthy dirty gross. I also check to see if it has a incoming # written on it, so that maybe in theory I can call my friend long distance, pull up my lawn chair and have him call me back. So complicated. The incoming # is written in invisible ink just like at the outdoor walmart phone. I try to read it anyway. Thus far I haven't actually used that phone.

I can't stand for real long periods so yesterday I drove the 13 miles to my bank, so I can use their free sit down phone. But I"m paranoid, I fear someone will come over and ask me to leave. The jcc has a free phone on park heights ave but even though no body else uses it, 3 people gave me dirty looks for using it and one came over and asked me to wrap it up.

My neighbor claims I can use his phone, but I think he might be jealous that I call my male friend, so now he acts punitive about it "I better make it fast" so I don't use his phone anymore.

att

I called them yesterday and 2 days before that. Yesterday I spent about 45 min. on the phone and it was a complete waste. Both Amanda and Annie said it would be at least another 3 week wait. I asked for their supervisors and they went away, put me on hold and didn't come back forever. The one who did finally come back said she can't find a supervisor. I said, well I'll need the email address for the manager and the president. I don't have that she says. I tell her: YOur company has a service called lifeline whereyou pretend to care about people who live alone or are sick, and you're making me wait 6 weeks or more?

"So, sorry maam, I know exactly how you feel" (they're trained to say this) but they don't do shit.

I hung up on her, and I am currently exactly nowhere.

I could complain to the better business bureau?
call legal aide?
go with another company?

I'M SO DAMN TIRED OF THESE BATTLES!

No comments: