Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Welcome to the neighborhood!"

You know I love synchronicity and have an awful lot of it in my life. Just now, I was sitting near the children's computers here at the library, and I heard a voice coming from the computer that sounded like Barney the purple dinosaur!

He said: "Welcome to the neighborhood. It's fun to explore a new neighborhood especially with friends like you. Here's the map, where would you like to go first?"

at this point the little girl clicked her mouse on bakery

We're at the bakery! This is chef ridenour and he makes a fabulous chocolate croissant! Click on the toaster and you can help me put the toast on the plates!

------------------------------------------------------------

Ok back to my life folks. The man who agreed to provide his truck to me for 100 dollars was a no show. So, me and 3 other women had to do all the lifting of the bedroom dresser set and dining room set ourselves. We took everything apart, one of my la pew neighbors put in in D's SUV so snugly that when we got to the new address we couldn't get it out right away! That was physically very hard and hilarious at the same time. We looked like the 4 stooges trying to get this furniture out of the suv and onto a dolly.

"O.K. everybody, calling the person who has the least amount of injuries to help here!"

Anyhow, that parts done.

Monday I'm returning from Baltimore and my worse fear happens. The car is "breaking down" again. The check coolant light comes on. I check it and despite the fact that Sarah just spent 800 on my car getting that problem fixed it is still not fixed. I most certainly don't have any repair money left. Even though the car repairs are under warranty, the mechanic will never agree to pay for the towing, I just know that. What should I do? I call progressive at a pay phone, cuz i have no minutes on my cell, and order tow service coverage. It will be 24 hours before it kicks in. Will the car make it back to carroll county? I don't have time to stop by radio shack to buy minutes for the cell phone because that will mean I'll have to drive to c.c. in the dark on rural roads with a car that is breaking down. So, my only choice is, to head home on rural road with no cell phone with my hazard lights on and pray the car doesn't totally break down.

It's 8:30 at night and I'm lost. I try to flag a driver down to get directions but they drive so fast and won't stop to help me. Thank goodness I eventually find a man in a front yard who tells me where my home is!

I get home in the knick of time. 9 p.m. just at dark. Next morning I walk over to the manager's office to make some critical phone calls. She's not there. Come back at 10:30 a.m. office is closed. So , I know no one, have no phone service, no working car and no food and don't know anybody.

A man from "my village" Brian, 61, is walking over to the laundry room. I introduce myself to him and explain my plight. I've found the right person! He lends me his cell, WALKS BACK TO HIS APT, LEAVING ME ALONE WITH HIS CELL AND HIS CLOTHES IN THE DRYERS! (wOW, NOBODY IN BALTIMORE TRUSTS STRANGERS LIKE THAT) and he says just make as many calls as you want. I finish with my calls, he looks at my car, drives me all over town to show me around takes me to wal mart, takes me to the grocery store, offers to follow me all the back to my city mechanic and wait for me, which we decide not to do that day. I tell him I'll give him the gas money to make the trip to the city and he refuses!

He says he is the "resident driver" driving all of the little old ladies around whose vision is not good enough to drive. He used to work as a stage hand for major motion pictures all over the East Coast but got injured in 97.

I told him I can't remember anyone in my life ever taking me to a grocery store, or helping out in a neighborly way like he is.

Right now I'm at the library and I feel so relaxed around the residents here. I feel safe, and already 2 women patrons have spoken with me as opposed to Baltimore where if anyone looks at you it's because they are suspicious of you or don't like what you are wearing..............................

I hate the MD climate, but for today, life does feel more normal, and it's wonderful to feel safe.

Brian said no one in my complex locks their apt. or their car doors!..............................

I'm not so trusting to keep my apt. door unlocked but just the fact that people feel safe must be so refreshing.

The 4 "new friends" who I've met this far are originally from

Rodgers Forge
Woodlawn
Owings Mills
Balto. city/balto county line!

1 comment:

BJH said...

Rebecca -- congrats on getting out of Balt and to CC.

Your blog as always is terrific. You should be getting paid a lot of money for your story, if there were any justice in the world.

You are amazingly resilient, persistent, and resourceful.

e-mail me and we can compare notes.

Bernie