Thursday, June 11, 2009

"Some of my greatest fears"

My greatest fears about living in the country were that I'd have no phone or no car. That is almost exactly what has happened. The mechanic fixed my car last Thursday with the 800 donation from the philanthropist. Monday the "low coolant" sign came on and I drove with baited breath from cockeysville to carroll county with no real serious problems.

My neighbor who says he knows a bit about coolant stuff eyeballed the car and thought something was wrong with the water pump. He told me to take it to "Mike's auto" I did that and Mike said that he can't tell by eyeballing it and that I'll have to take it back to the city where it's under warranty.

This morning when I headed for the city I sensed their was something very wrong and the overflow bottle won't hold much coolant at all. I drive the 40 miles to the mechanic and he says that the car is dangerous to drive, the engine could blow up, and that the problem he sees has nothing with the work he did, but that now I need a new radiator. I said, oh boy, i don't have any more money. Could you please give me an estimate I asked? He said, what's the point if you don't have any money? Could you give me an estimate anyway? Yes, 439.00. So, with much hesitation I called the same person who helped last time and it looks like she will probably help again.

I asked the mechanic if I should have someone follow me back to carroll county? He said "that's up to you" "you got it here without anyone following you
just pull over and wait if the engine overheats"

So, here i am in pikeville, i'll wait 90 minutes and then I'll head north. The mechanic gave me a gallon of water to keep pouring in there on the way back to carroll county. The other reason I had to drive to balto. is because i asked everyone in town yesterday "where are the pay phones?" "there aren't any that I know of" people replied. "Wal Mart?" maybe w.m. has a phone. "Where is the closest bank (my bank branch has free phones) "9 miles away, the librarian said"

My cell phone has 14 minutes left and it costs 33 cents a minute. So, it's cheaper for me to drive to baltimore than to keep filling my cell with minutes. Supposedly att will give me a landline sometimes next week but only after i pay the security deposit by money order. They don't take checks...............................................

No comments: