Friday, April 12, 2013

"Delicioso!"

Whenever a meal at the soup kitchen is real good or exceptional, i tell the servers and sometimes even tell the chef.  I might say "perfecto"  or put my fingers to my lips and do the kiss insignia to express my pleasure.

Today was one of those days.  I called out hello to Jeanie* one of the diners.  A man repled:  "Hey, don't call me Jeanie!"

me-"What do you want me to call you then?!"

him_"Just don't call me late for dinner!"

me (i don't know him btw) "I KNEW you were going to say that!

---------------------------------------------------------------

There were actually 2 diners who i was talking with, neither were at my table.  One was from New Mexico, and  the other livesin the woods, Rod.

So, rod tells me that John, and he points at him is the "nicest most politest guy you will ever meet"

I repled "creative 2, he just put orange candiesin his vegetable soup"

Rod said "Hey John, I think she has a thing for you!"

me-"I can sure u if i like a boy i will be sure to let him know, i will not need an advocate because i am a world class....(and then i whispered) FLIRT!"

Rod_"Oh you are are you?"

(author's note-i think that most of us here have miserable miserable lives, but the kidding lightens the load, if only for a bit)

He starts asking folks trivia questions.  I follow up with some of my own.

me-"What is the most touristed town on route 66?"

diner-"Kingman?"

me-"No it's Mountain Town!"

me_What is the 2nd largest county in the u.s.

diner_"Well, the first is San Bernadino........But i don't know the second!"

me-Our's i said.  although we have a rural landmass with few people it is still huge.  (the first i think is l.a.)

The diner asked me what brought me to Mountain Town.  I said, well i can't say here in front ofa group.  All i can tell you is that i sent the story to a true crime writer.

I said you know they call this poverty with a view.  But, i call it homelessness with a view.

he said that although he lives in the woods he does not consider himself homeless.  I said I'm fairly sure that most homeless people are not experiencing this as happy or joyful like you do.  He said "The earth is my home"

"Hey, haveyou seen that book about surviving the government?"

"No"  I replied. 

"Well, you know i can't stand Obama, he said.  "Obama is in the mafia"

(in social work school we learned the technique of using I messages)

Me-"I'm not really 2 comfortable sharing my viewson Obama!"

him_"I respect that"

Me-"Well it was nice meeting you and u have a good day"

him-"It was great meeting u too"

No comments: