Thursday, December 27, 2007

1/3/96 "so called food stamp appt."/the local community center

I went into the Hampden Family Center for a 2:30 appt. What a waste of time that was. I was told by the volunteer yesterday that I could come in at 2:30 for a woman to interview me for food stamps. When I do come in, there is a different woman working. She asks me if I have certain things with me. I tell her that I only have one pay stub. She says I have to have more documentation than that. She asks me to wait until 3 for the formal appt. So, she then meets with me for about 1/2 hour, telling me I need this, this and this. She finally asks me if I have my utility bill?! I tell her no because my rent includes utilities.

She then says: "Aren't you here for energy assistance?!"

E-"No"

"Then what are you here for?"

E-"Food stamps!"

"We don't do that here!"

"Your volunteer told me that you do!"

"Who told you that?" (I would here this question many, many times over the next dozen years! I now keep impeccable records, so I know "who did tell me that!")

I told her I don't remember the name of the volunteer. So as this doesn't become a wasted trip, I decide to wait around for the director re: the possibility of volunteering for the center. I'm told the director is busy right now. So, I just sit and wait for her to free up.

The director seems really burned out, but asks me if I'd like to sign up for a computer class. The sign up sheet states a date that passed 2 weeks ago!  I asked her about it and she said that it is the wrong sign up sheet. She points me to another sign up sheet, which says:

"Tues, Weds, or Thurs?"

I ask: "What are the corresponding dates?"

"I don't know" she says. "It's doesn't matter anyway. You don't have to sign up. Just pop in anytime tomorrow!"

"You are coming in the a.m., aren't you?" she continued.

E-"Oh, I thought you just said to come in anytime"

"You better come in the a.m."

(I'd never choose a.m., but do it when I have to. Fibromyalgia people and a.m. rarely get along)

Supposedly, at 10 a.m. Frank will be there to train me.

No comments: