Thursday, December 27, 2007

"Everything is broken"

It's a perspective that I feel nobody else is experiencing. In that sense, it's risky for me to write about the way I experience the world.

Everything is broken

The concert itself was phenomenal, but here are the events surrounding the event!

MD STATE BOYSCHOIR CONCERT AT A LOCAL CHURCH

I saw an ad in a local paper for the boyschoir concert. It said: "$12 donation suggested" (All past concerts in this church have been drop money in the basket, so this is what I was expecting, if you don't have the full amount no big deal, and I didn't)

When I arrive I see a cash box on the right. I asked the volunteer about the purpose of the box.  "I thought this concert was a donation thing, what's the box for?"

She looked and me like I was from Mars.

 me-  "Is this cash box where audience members have to put the 12 dollars?"

  "No" she said. "You were supposed to purchase tickets in advance!"

E-"Oh Boy, the ad I saw did not mention that"

Lady 1- "You can talk to the lady at the entrance about it"

E-"I just took a cab here, because of an ad in the paper, that said nothing about buying tix in advance"


Lady 2-"This show is all sold out"

E-"That's not right"

Lady 2-"Here, I have an extra ticket, but tell NO-ONE that I did this!"

E-"Thank You"

I'm an hour early and need a place to sit. I try to go in to the wait lounge. 2 people are blocking it off.

E-"Do you mind if I sit and wait?"

"Well, I guess so............"

I felt like I was breaking a rule, but needing a place to sit.

The concert it self is fabulous. At breaktime, the officiator says:

"It's breaktime,  don't leave your seats because there is a video"

I go try to get water, but I'm the only one who gets out of my seat! I ask an officiator. "Where is the water fountain?"

"This church has no water fountain. But there are cups in the ladies room"

I go to the ladies room. There are no cups. I lean my mouth under the sink, as a well dressed, well heeled white woman looks on, disapprovingly. When I am done, I say: "The church has no water fountain"

"Yes, it does" , said a little girl!"

No comments: