Thursday, December 27, 2007

"On David Sedaris and NPR"

I knew of David Sedaris, but I had never heard him speak before. NPR did a special on Christmas Day (07) on "Christmas Tales"

I was expecting something sappy, stories that are very different from my own experiences. Much to my surprise, that wasn't the case at all. I discovered D. Sedaris. He told this wonderful true story of the year he was hired as an Elf for Macy's during the Christmas season. When I heard him read his true essay, I thought, Mmm, "Now that's the way I experience the world." I realize that I am a satirist like him with a style similar to his.

He said that while he was dressed up like an elf, one of the female customers asked: "Where is the bathroom?" (this is much more fun when you hear him read it in his own words and inflection)

D.S.-"It's the line with the women in it!" he shouted.

Customer-"I ought to have you fired. I'm going to have you fired for your attitude!"

D.S. "Go ahead, he thought, life can't get any more hellacious then being an elf for Christmas!"

He went on to say that 2 woman that day threatened to have him fired.

He said one boy got up into Santa's lap, and Santa asked him what he wanted for Christmas. "I want Proctin and Gamble to stop animal testing!"

(Mom is coaching him along) "That's Proctor and Gamble, son. Now son, why do you want P and G to stop animal testing. Because it is cruel and unusual punishment!"

Well, you get the idea folks!

(And on this note, I will write about my 12/95 retail job working with very high end merchandise in my next posting.)

and by the way

BAH HUMBUG

No comments: