Monday, December 31, 2007

Day 10, No Working Toilet

On Day 7, when maint. man saw me using the public restroom in the bldg., he locked it up. So I've been resorting to using public places. I just can't stand to see his face, I can't stand the idea of him being in my apt., and that's putting the fact that I am afraid of him as secondary. I'm just soooooooooooo furious, filled with fury at what I've been thru here, I can't stand to see management's faces.

So, I told the owner in Georgia my problem. She called me today and said I have no choice but to use the people that are already on staff, regardless of what I claim I've been thru. She said, she will have a female present, (the useless on sight manager) while he takes a look at the toilet.

It's been one month and the new owner has not begun any investigations into the thefts, sexual harrassment and death threats. She said to me today, "well, nobody else has turned in a formal complaint"

E-These are sick and elderly people, not activists. It doesn't lessen what I've been thru.

new owner-Well, I would need all the documentation of what has happened there. (that's 2.5 years worth of notes)

E-"The police don't write written reports, despite my requests"

O-Without documentation I can't help u

E-I know one other person who might speak to you, but so many of my files have been stolen, and much has been put in storage.

O-Well, if you can get them to call me, then maybe I can do something.

(So, I'm supposed to waste another year or more of my life, while maybe somebody does something to make me more safe?)

She said that she understands that I'd like to put in for an out of state transfer. This is true, I know which states they own property, but not yet which cities. She said that some of the wait lists are long, but I have no choice to at least get on the lists. In the meantime, I'm going to have to work like hell, to get out of where I am, while waiting for formal public housing to come thru.

So, this maint. man who I dread is coming into my apt. on weds. ( and I insist on not being in there alone with him), to "look" at the toilet. Yet, if I'm not there at all, he will steal something else from me, or vandalize something else.

I doubt that he'll replace it, even though I know I need a new one, as I got 2 opinions.

For those of you who are new readers of my blog, I recommend a famous true essay from the late 80's on life in U.S. public housing called:

"There are No Children Here" by Alex Kotlowitz

No comments: